In honor of Henry's birthday I will finally write his birth story. I share here the abridged version.
One year ago today I woke up having contractions 9 days past my due date. I called my midwife Griselda and after breakfast the kids were sent off with Grandma and Grandpa. John and I had a sweet time laboring pretty much alone for several hours while my three midwives knitted and drank tea in the living room, periodically coming to check fetal heart tones and my blood pressure. One of my dearest friends Juanita came to take pictures throughout labor and of the birth. My lovely sister-in-law Hannah came to watch and video the event. It was one of the most special days of my life as were all the birthdays of my children. I was truly able to feel the sacredness of what was happening as well as enjoy the pleasant company of my mate, the father of this little one. While the majority of the labor was mild, the last hour was quite challenging and I was still able to huff and puff up that mountain that women climb when they give birth. Each of my four labors have been very different and this one was particularly sweet as I was aware that this was my last time being pregnant and going through labor. I have formed a close bond with my midwife who has attended the births of all of my children. Her assistants have also been been to a few of my births and I felt close to them. I was literally surrounded by people lovingly looking for ways to support me and make sure I was safe. At 3 o'clock in the afternoon Henry was born into his father's and my hands. Here are some pictures from the event taken by Juanita. Don't worry, there will be no blood:)
 |
| Early labor after breakfast....waiting for things to pick up a bit more. |
 |
| John has been through this a few times and is the perfect "dude-la". His presence was absolutely necessary this time....my body ceased to have contractions whenever he left the room for a break. Therefore for several hours we were alone in our room laboring close. |
 |
| Yana is here taking fetal heart tones to make sure Henry was doing ok. |
 |
| Yana reading and Griselda knitting in the dining room. It was so comforting knowing there were there when I needed them. |
 |
| I love this picture because it captures one of the beauties of homebirth. My midwives came to attend to me in MY space. I was not in a hospital in someone else's territory. Remember, I am not anti-hospital. I feel that homebirth is right for me and my babies. |
 |
| He is still doing well...just checking again. :) |
 |
| Griselda updating Hannah who has just arrived. |
 |
| A great labor position. |
 |
| Looks like an ad for Birth Pool in a Box! I labored here for a while expecting to birth in the water as I did with Judah but decided that I felt like birthing on dry land. |
 |
| This is one of my favorite pictures ever. Me eating yogurt and laughing with Griselda at about 7-8 cm dilated. My water hadn't broken yet and contractions were relatively easy. |
 |
| After moving to the bed and dealing with pretty tough transitional contractions I asked to have my water broken to get the show on the road. Because Henry's heart rate was having a hard time coming up after contractions we decide that this was a good idea since he seemed to be in a little distress. Gris broke it and he was born within 6 minutes I believe. He pinked right up and started to cry. |
 |
Welcome little Henry! Join the crew! We are so happy you are here!
|
 |
| 10 days old on Mount Tam in June |
 |
| He may have had the most hair of all the kids but only by a small margin. |
 |
| Look what the fairies left me! |
 |
| Yes, he is a child of John Hoffman. How did you guess? |
All of these photos were taken by my dear friend
Juanita Cannan. There were so many great photos of the labor and delivery that I had to control myself from posting all of them. She captured the event so well. The newborn pictures were darling and it was really fun walking around the gardens at Ralston White retreat finding nice places to shoot. I love how they came out.
Many thanks to all who were involved with that special day last May. Thank you to Griselda and Yana and Leopi for being my guardians during the birth as well as providing comprehensive prenatal care. Thank you to Hannah for being there and video taping it all. Thank you to Juanita for spending the whole day with us and beautifully capturing the event in photography. Thank you to Roger and Ava (aka Grandpa and Grandma) for taking the kids on a fun trip to Star Restaurant and the park and to my parents Ben and Peggy and sister Mary and her husband Sean for watching the kids at their house and in the creek all afternoon and evening....they still remember that day as one of the best in their lives. Thank you to my patient, courageous and tender husband John who caressed me and massaged me as well as laughed and cried with me through ALL of my labors. Without you, I literally could not have done it. And most of all, thank you Lord for all of the blessings in my life. Even when times are truly hard, I cannot even count all of the gifts You have given me. The day that Henry was born, You showered them down on me even more. Happy birthday my little one.
It's crazy to me that it has been a year already, but then I look at your sweet boy and realize how much he has grown and the little boy he has become. So glad I got to be there, it was an honor! Happy birthday Henry :)
ReplyDelete